Friday, January 3, 2014

DIY: Upcycling Old Bangles

     


Happy New Year! May you have a prosperous 2014.


      Most of us use this opportunity to renew and refresh our lives, that includes buying new stuff and throwing out or giving away old things. Fancy jewelry gets tarnished pretty easily. Usually, they are among the first items to be disposed. One of the things that you can do to prevent rust from ruining your jewelry is to coat them with clear polish. But if it is too late for this process, you still can salvage your damaged piece by painting them with a colored polish instead of a clear one. 

    I also discovered another way to recycle my old bangles. During the holiday season, my grandmother dressed our windows with beautifully embroidered curtains.




     I was so inspired by it that I decided to use threads to decorate my rusty jewelry. These are the materials I used: 

  •            old bangles
  •         thread (any color, I chose blue. PS. IT IS NOT MY FAVORITE COLOR)
  •         superglue
  •         cloth




     Directions: 
                    1. Clean the old bangles using your cloth.

                            2.   Apply superglue on the bangle.


3.    Wrap the thread tightly around the bangle so the whole piece is covered.


     Enthused by the Christmas balls (and I like to start my year in a glitzy way!), another idea is to cover the bangle with glitter. Use these:

  •       old bangles
  •       glitter
  •       clear nail polish
  •       cloth

    Directions: 
                 1.     Clean the old bangles using your cloth.
                       2.    Apply clear nail polish to the bangle.
                       3.    Dip the bangle to the glitter.
                       4.   Continue until the piece is entirely covered with glitter . 

      It takes about 30 minutes to wrap the whole bangle with thread and 15 minutes with glitter. Do it while watching your favourite drama on tv or while waiting for the water to boil. It is a lot of fun! Here are my finished creations. 



Do you have any ideas on how to recycle old jewelry? Comment below! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment





Pin It button on image hover